Monday, July 25, 2005

Daytona, Space stuff, Enchanted Forest, St. Augustine

We got up this morning and headed to the next rest area to cook breakfast - it was quite fancy, we made fired eggs, sausage, anbd even pancakes! Then we headed north and stopped in Daytona for a quick lunch break. I finally had Chickfila and got some pictures of the Racetrack for my mom (she has become a very big Nascar fan!)Next we stopped at the Kennedy Space Center - but it was like $40 to get in. And we were off by one day to see a blastoff! BUMMER. So we left there and checked out the nearby Enchanted Forest. We went on a mile long walk in the woods - SOO releived to find no mosquitoes here! We did see more spiders (which I learned are called Golden Silk Spiders) lots of butterflies and even a baby armadillo!!! He was soooo cool. He was in the trail, sticking his nose into the sand to find a dinner of ants, and seriously couldn't have cared How close I got to him. I probably could have touched him, though I didn't dare. Bryan said he looked like a well protected rat. He was super neat!


armadillo in enchanted forest

Our next stop for the day was at St. Augustine Beach, where we went swimming. It was a bit choppy and the water was a tiny bit cooler than in the keys - but still super warm. I tried body surfing, but only ended up with water up my nose and sand in my bathing suit. We went into the town of St. Augustine and checked out the fort there. Sadly it was closed, so we couldnt go in. The town is awesome though. Historic Old Town with lots of cute cobblestone streets and shopping. We then left for Gainesville with homemade ice creams cones in our hands - yummm, banana fudge.

Florida is difinately a place I would like to visit again. There is so much to do and see here. So much water, be it ocean, lake or river. The flora and fauna here are so uinique. Of course tons of touristy thing. I hope to come back and see Biscayne National Underwater Park - to go snorkeling in the coral reefs! And to come back for Disney World. Someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home