Saturday, July 23, 2005

Florida Keys!!

We made it today!! We made it to the very tippity tip of the southeastern end of the country - Seattle to Key West!


Us at the Southern Most Point in the Continental US

This morning we had a snack at the KOA pub and grub and I got a very neat lizard souvenir. Our drive today consisteted of a couple stops on the beaches to go snorkeling and swimming in crystal clear and very WARM water. And I must say that I am very proud of the fact that I have remained sunburn free... certainly have a lot more freckles than I did 23 days ago though ;) When we went snorkeling at Sombrero Beacj in Marathon, I saw a LOBSTER! He looked at me with those beady little eyes and off I went - for some reason I suddenly had a fear that this lobster had some vengence against people and I would be his first claw victim. Silly I know, but to see a lobster that close up - they are Creeeeepy looking!

We also stopped at Mangrove Mama's for a snack and got to Key West in time for Hemmingway Days - so there were boths and food and things all along Duval Street. We walked by Hemmingways House, but it was $11 bucks to tour, so we decided we would spend our money somewhere else. Then, we went to the Southern Most Point in the USA! Very very cool. So monumentous! This really felt like the biggest destination yet... as all you can do is turn around... no going any further!

We walked all around Duval Street and Bryan got a fancy hat. We ate at wo Friends Padio Restaurant and then went to Mallory Square to see the sunset, as it is THE place to do so. I was surprised that the view of the sunset is actually over another island - the guy was right at the KOA, their sunset view is better. We even had a boat full of pirated block out view at one point. But it was still very cool to be there, among the zillions of other people and all the street performers. We made it to a motel outside the Keys tonight - for the same price as a campground outside Key West! And here we are now - with actually High Speed Internet Access! Amazing!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home