Thursday, July 21, 2005

Ichetucknee in Florida

Florida is awesome!

We got up to bacon and eggs made by Grandma Doris and then drove to Ichatucknee Springs State Park where we put a canoe in the Ichatucknee River! The water was crystal clear, and apparently very high. Bryan began in charge of steering, and steered us through a quiet river, with a few people tubing down. We saw tons of mullet fish! They often jumped out of the water in front of us too - some a couple feet in the air! We saw various birds, turtles, of course zillions of dragonflies, even a few landed on my knee (thankfully they were little guys, otherwise I may not have been able to handle such a thing). Which reminds me of the huge spider with various colors on it that I nearly walked into on an attempt to pee in the woods… not going to try that again in Florida ;) . Half way down the river, Bryan and I traded positions, and I got to steer the rest of the way. Suddenly it was like we were on the 405 in LA. There were a bazillion people tubing down the river, swimming, jumping off trees, snorkeling! Quite the obstacle course to steer around! I got maneuvering skills. We got to the end at the same time as Bryan’s grandparents (who had gotten in half way and swam down with the fins and snorkels). Bryan and I got to get IN the water at this point, and it felt oooh so good, as was a very hot and humid day! Bryan’s Grandpa Joe then offered to get me a souvenir of a t-shirt with a gator floating down the river on a tube, playing his banjo, with a little turtle in the background. It is pretty sweet!


floating on the Ichetucknee

Next Bryan’s grandparents took us for to Mayo for some southern BBQ. Yumm-ee! I filled myself beyond normal stomach capacity with ribs, chicken, green beans, and deep fried corn on the cob (which is super good, and I am sure very good for you too).

With very full bellies we went to the Suwannee River for a quick swim. It was Clough State Park water times 100! The water is sooo orange, from the tannin from the trees. It took me a while, but I finally worked up the guts to submerge myself – check out the picture! And with a still full belly, I had to eat even more, as Grandma Doris cooked up some more yummy food for us and made chocolate mousse. I lay here now, with the biggest belly I have ever had. That’s it, I am fasting for the rest of this trip. At least we have no more of Bryan’s family until we are back up in Montana, so no more stuffing myself silly. Oh boy oh boy – I Hear thunder!!! Cool! My first thunderstorm this trip. And we are safely nestled in a house, how perfect!

Quote of the day: “The theologian asked his apprentice to name the first women, to which he replied ‘Eve.’ He then asked where Eve lived – ‘The Garden of Eden,’ he replied. Then he asked what were the first words that Eve said to Adam – “Hmmmm… that’s a hard one.” One of the many jokes Bryan’s Grandpa has shared with us the past two days. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home