Sunday, July 24, 2005

WARNING: It is MOSQUITO season! Oh yes, it was baaad. This is THE worst time to go to the Everglades. But we did it anyway.


Mosquito coat

We first went all the way to Flamingo (the farthest point west in the park) with the plan to take our time coming back out and walking around. On our way down, we met the welcoming committee. An alligator was laying in the middle of the street! He was so cool. Totally just chillin' in the road.Our stop in Flamingo was cool, as we got to have a snack and watch some thunder and lightning! The mosquitos weren't bad here. Next we went to do a 1/4 mile hike around Eco Pond - this is where the insanity began. The minute we got out of the car we were surrounded. Bryan was wearing long pants and my raincoat with the hood sinched around his head, but still just couldn't take it. He retreated quickly and I decided the only way I would see the trail was if I ran. So I did. But if I stopped for a moment to take a picture I was doomed. Those darn mosquitoes!

When I returned to the car and took one look at Bryan I realized he was NOT having a good day. Every bite was swollen, his neck and face - even his lip - had bites. He just looked miserable. Lucky for me I wasn't being biten as much and didn't have the same reaction as he (which I believe is probably because I used bug spray with deet, and he used natural stuff from Whole Foods).

I pulled off again just to see what the forest looked like there, but didn't dare get out. The trees are very unique - with interesting bottoms, as it appears many of the roots are above ground.We managed one more walk in the park before leaving, where it was more out in the open. We walked on boardwalks around water. I saw HUGE brightly colored grasshoppers. I also saw a sign "Nesting Area. Do Not Disturb". So I took a peek and saw an alligator head peaking out of the water about 2 feet off the trail! So exciting.Then I dared enter the forest - again I ran on a trail, this one actually IN the forest - but I had to run FAST because those mosquitoes are vicious! Didn't really get to see much, excpet the rufffle of lizards scurrying away from me. Gladly no spiders webs to walk into as well!

After the Everglades, we drove north. We took a turn to go see what Miami Beach is all about, but found ourselves in TRAFFIC and never even attempted to get out of the car. It looked like a big Santa Monica, but with a bit more diversity on the beaches, and with grass on the beach sand.

Once we finally got out of this traffic, we headed north and slept in the parking lot of a Howard Johnson motel. We tried a few rest areas, but Florida has that pesky law about not sleeping overnight - AND they have secutiry patrolling the area all night. The parking lot turned out to be ebtter anyway... no truck or traffic noise, and no obnoxious lights in our face! Still too hot to get a good nights sleep though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home