Saturday, July 02, 2005

North Cascades to Newman Lake

Bryan and I drove through North Cascades National Park via Route 20. We ended up not hiking, kinda by accident, and decided to just take the scenic route to Newman Lake and try to arrive there tonight. We did take a quick pit stop in Winthrop, as it looked too cute to drive past, and there was a little boy and his older partner playing some electric guitar tunes on the street. Then we headed to Eastern Washington, to Newman Lake just outside of Spokane, traveling on 155 to 174 to 2 to 90 to 290. Of course, our arrival did not go unnoticed, as we were ambushed by Paddy, JT and Ed! Massive water guns from all angels. Bryan and I thought we would be in the clear because it was a cool night… but NO! So we ran back up to our car to get some of our own ammunition! I wish now that I had gone ahead and purchased the $30.00 reservoir tank gun the prior day, as my little guns were quite measly next to their weapons. Even though I couldn’t quite fight back, I am glad they didn’t “spare” us the attack. Paddy and JT knew Bryan and I would be up for it regardless. Next year though, they better watch out!!

We were also welcomed with plates of spaghetti, thus beginning the pig out for the next few days. Luckily we also arrived on the night of the Annual Bad Candy Poker Game. This was pretty excellent, I must say. The girls seemed to be the most daring that night, as we all tried many of the candies. The worse was BY FAR “Toxic Waste”, which Paddy miraculously managed to eat FIVE of in 1 minute! There is no way to really describe this stuff… they are like War Heads, the little sour candies… but they have this powder on them that is just painful! And it stays with you for a while! I am honestly amazed Paddy did that! He is the ultimate bad candy pro! There were many interesting things to try, including jelly corns, which were the other scary candy of the evening (but I must say, I think I almost enjoyed it). Poor Mark couldn’t stand them though! I lost only one hand and had to try some spicy chewy straw things, which weren’t as bad as they looked. Thank goodness. So, this was a great welcome and introduction to the traditions at Bock and Bock’s Shady Shanty on Newman Lake! We spent the night in a twin bed on the upper floor. It was pretty cold, but we had LOTS of blankets!

Quote of the Day: “My pooh is going to be weird.” Paddy, after Bad Candy Poker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home